Saturday, November 23, 2013

good and faithful servant?


“Be ye perfect, even as your Father who is in heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48 KJV)

That’s a tall order!  It seems like saying I must be a world-class marathon runner, nothing less.  If you don’t think you can make 26 miles in two hours, don’t bother to try at all — an excuse for not going on that walk, even though I know the exercise would do me good.

Is that what perfect means?  Quakers don’t seem to talk much nowadays about the idea of human perfection which was preached by the early Friends.  Have we given up?  Friends were fiercely criticized for the idea in those days, more because they seemed to be claiming equality with God rather than because they were urging people to do the impossible.

I think, though, that the idea is more like saying I should go for that walk, even just around the block if that’s all I can manage, even though I know I’ll never run a marathon.

In his famous 1678 Apology, Robert Barclay uses the parable of the talents to discuss perfection (Matthew 25:14-30).  That’s never been one of my favorites, but I’ve been taking a new look at it.  Barclay points out that the servant who increased two talents to four was praised as much as the one who increased five to ten.  He doesn’t mention, though, that the boss gave increased responsibilities to both of them.  Perhaps after walking around the block once a day for a few weeks, I might be ready to try walking around two blocks?

Friends sometimes use the example of a growing child.  What is a perfect three-year-old?  Would she be able to count up to ten? to a hundred, if she’s really smart?  Would we expect her to do calculus?  The goals for each child should be adapted to the individual child’s age and abilities.  Perhaps I’m a perfect athlete if I walk as far as I’m reasonably able, one block or two; the 26-mile run is out of the picture.

That kind of example used to satisfy me, but as I approach seventy, these questions are taking on a sharper edge.  I am aware that my mind and body are no longer capable of some things I used to do easily.  Unlike the servants in the parable, I’m looking at decreased responsibilities and expectations.  It’s still an individual matter.  Arthritis keeps me from walking more than absolutely necessary, even though I know older people who walk several miles a day.  On the other hand, I can still read Latin (with dictionary and grammar book at hand).  I’m not as good at it as I was in high school, but it’s still useful in my translation work (right now we’re working on that Apology, which Barclay originally wrote in Latin).

I need to keep reminding myself to measure my goals and standards against what I’m capable of now, not what others do, not what I used to do,.  I have to let go of many pleasures and challenges, and there’s grief work to do about that.  I’m trying to learn to be a perfect old lady. 

And sometimes I hear the Friend of Friends cheering me on, “Well done, good and faithful and perfect servant! — keep reaching for the stars!”

4 comments:

  1. I never liked that parable because of what the king did to the fearful servant that buried the talent and then dug it back up... talk about unfair. I also look at the Greek, which Jesus did not preach in, and wonder what the Aramaic word used was. M-shalim? Completed or paid up? Or was he, as i suspect, quoting Leviticus 19: You must be holy as your God is holy. And the root for holy means to be dedicated for special use... How is G!d dedicated to a special use? How holy are we? And by that neither Moses nor Jesus meant flawless in body or mind, or the best in the world at doing something, nor prissy, virginal and pollyannish. It means so committed to G!d's path that we are praying without ceasing, showing that Adonai Echad (God is [the] One) with every act of our hands and with the focus of our minds stamped on our foreheads; it means being an open channel for the Spirit to come through to minister. And none of those looks like the popular or traditional depictions of God's saints. I also believe (suspect?) that it means enjoying living in the body/soul combo we've been given and enjoying it as much as possible -- so i guess we should get out and try to walk an extra block as i know we'll both sleep better for it. And next year we may not be able to. But we can still be perfect. I'm on my way to being a perfect cantankerous cranky querulous old Quaker... Just as i wanted when i was younger. I hope it's what the Creator wanted me to be -- it's what She's getting, and she seems to be helping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pablo! That Leviticus 19 interpretation is new to me. Perfect is hard enough, but holy? That's a high bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frequently, things slip into these parables that are oblique in their assumption, and not stated, like the air we breathe. In this case, the elephant in the room is USURY. Jesus takes a dim view of it. The OT and NT have a somewhat complicated, but definitely negative take on it, which is rarely mentioned these days. It's rather like slavery, this USURY thing. Hebrews should not enslave nor charge interest within their own tribe, but it's fair game for strangers.

    Now, USURY is a major affliction of us all, and Wall Street sits at the pinnacle. Most of us are buried in debt that cannot be repaid. One step toward perfection would be to conscientiously object to USURY in all forms, and seek better ways to finance our lives.

    "25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

    26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.

    28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some of the reasons the parable has always made me uncomfortable. Thanks!

    But a parable is a sort of extended metaphor, and it's not meant to be taken as reality or as direct instruction to "go and do likewise." I am comforted by the realization that in the Gospels all the fire and brimstone, casting out into darkness, gnashing of teeth, etc. come only within parables. We don't need to think Jesus really taught we should believe in the hell of eternal punishment after death, nor that he endorsed Wall Street because of this parable.

    ReplyDelete